How to Prepare for an Engagement Session
Engagement photos are wicked cool and tons of fun but they can be nerve wracking if you don't know what to expect. Here are some tips about how to get ready for your engagement session.
- Don’t be nervous! Engagement photos are super laid back and fun. It allows me to get to know you better. And you get to see how I work. This will all make taking photos on your wedding day much more comfortable and enjoyable.
- Consider getting your hair and make-up professionally done. A professional can flatter your features and will make you feel much more comfortable during photos. You can also use this as a trial run for how you’d like your hair and make-up done on your wedding.
- We will typically shoot for about an hour or so during the couple hours before sunset. This gives us that beautifully soft, glowing light.
- Think of areas that you might want to take photos at. While I know of several great spots in the area, it’s always fun to go somewhere new and special to you as a couple.
- Wear clothes that are comfortable and make you feel good. Pick colors that compliment what your fiance is wearing. You can quickly change your look by dressing in layers and by bringing a scarf, hat, etc. Try to avoid clothing with large visible logos or writing. (You want to look back on these photos years from now and remember how much you loved each other, not how much you loved Old Navy)
- Props are fun. Love balloons? Umbrellas? Do you have a blanket or chair that has sentimental value? Is your dog the other love of your life? Adding these kind of items into some photos makes them special and unique to you!
- Themes are also fun. I love to change things up! Maybe we go for a picnic somewhere. Maybe you wear super cool vintage style clothes. Let’s go for a canoe ride or a hike through a state park!
- The earlier you book the better. Summer weekends fill up pretty quickly!
- Make it your own. Don’t be afraid to look through pinterest and wedding sites for ideas but ultimately, you will love your photos the most if the location/props/clothing are things you really connect with.
- Have fun with it. Seriously! Laugh and smile and kiss and hold hands and enjoy each other. This will really bring out the best of you as a couple in your photos. Being engaged is an exciting and brief time of your life so make the most of it and enjoy the crap out of it!